How to Make a Good Title for an Essay
An essay title is one of the most important attributes of an essay. Getting it wrong with an essay title is one of the biggest mistakes one can make as a writer. A title is the first thing that attracts or captures the attention of a reader, and it can either make them want to read your article or completely disregard it. If you choose the wrong or a boring title, your article or essay is sure to attract few readers, and the opposite is also true. Therefore, the words you use as well as the combination of these words is quite important and can help you have a loyal readership. The mistake the majority of writers and students make is that they assume that titling an article is easy and therefore, fail to put the required effort. However, you need to treat your essay title as an important part of your essay and accord it the seriousness it deserves. Before we look at how you should make a good title for your essay, writemyessay.ca will discuss some of the qualities of a good title:
- Eye-catching. As stated earlier, the title is the first thing one sees the moment they look at your essay or article. Therefore, it should be captivating and help to capture the attention of your readers and potential readers.
- Use active voice. Always use an active voice in your title and avoid the temptation of using passive voice.
- Make it simple for the eyes. Avoid using complex words in your title. It should be easy to identify with it and hence make it simple.
- Make it brief. Do not give a story using your title. Rather, strive to make it brief and in a way that your audience will understand it.
- It should be accurate as well. Starting your essay with wrong information is suicidal, and you will lose your readership as fast as you got them. Therefore, ensure anything you say in your title is accurate.
To make a good title, consider the following tips:
- Write your essay first and then develop your title later. Never start with your title. The idea can change, and you may be forced to develop a new title.
- Make use of your thesis statement.
- Try and make use of popular and relatable phrases or clichés
- Try and sum up your article in five or fewer words. This is quite challenging but will help you develop a good title fast.